Reports to: ON Program Delivery Manager
Part-time: Hourly up to 15 hours a week
Location: Lindsay Makerspace, Lindsay, ON
Type: This is a 100% in-person role
Closing Date: Open until filled
We are looking for enthusiastic and curious youth staff for our Lindsay Makerspace! Join Pinnguaq and deliver amazing STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) experiences to young and enthusiastic learners.
As one of our STEAM Counsellors, you will assist our team in delivering high quality, fun and hands-on learning experiences. You will also hone your social media skills, capturing photos accompanied by short text blocks, to our internal shareables. As a member of our delivery team, you’ll be a public face of the programming we deliver and an ambassador of the work we do.
What does success look like in this role?
- You are excited and enthusiastic about STEAM-learning every time you work at the Makerspace
- Kids feel welcome and happy in our Makerspace
- Kids are exploring STEAM concepts through hands-on activities they can’t participate in anywhere else in Lindsay
- The Makerspace is neat, tidy and safe at all times
- Support the planning and delivery of our after-school and/or Saturday Drop-In STEAM programs at our Lindsay Makerspace location, in Lindsay, ON.
- Ensure the group of assigned learners is supervised and safe at all times.
- Ensure the group of assigned learners feels welcome and is having fun.
- Ensure all equipment/supplies are in safe working order before and after each programming experience.
- Clean and disinfect Makerspace and equipment as per Pinnguaq’s Lindsay Makerspace COVID-19 Safety Plan.
- Help to manage learners’ behavior using age-appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Capture and share delivery events through photos and videos to Pinnguaq’s internal Slack channel #successstories-and-sharables
- Confirm photo release permissions are on file for all learners in any photo, before sharing internally and externally.
- Support in creating and sharing stories and posts to Pinnguaq’s social media accounts and websites (eg. Instagram, blog posts etc.).
- Foster an environment wherein participants have the best learning experience and are challenged in a positive, growth-minded manner.
- Represent the Pinnguaq Association in a respectful and sensitive manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Attributes and Qualifications
Equal consideration will be given to non-academic skills and experiences of candidates.
- Minimum age of 16 within the 2022 calendar year.
- Experience working with children.
- Comfortable learning new technology and digital tools.
- Good decision making and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in-person in our Lindsay Makerspace, Lindsay ON location.
- Work as a collaborative and flexible team player.
- Basic First Aid certification is an asset.
- For those 18yrs or older, a Vulnerable Sector Search (VSS) will be a condition of the employment offer.
VSS Checks must be submitted prior to beginning work. Pinnguaq will pay for VSS.
To increase protection for the communities in which we work, we require all staff at Pinnguaq to be fully vaccinated, including a third shot (ie. Booster vaccination).
Pinnguaq Association strongly believes in fostering diversity within the communities we serve. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Pinnguaq Association is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point in the recruitment process.
Please submit cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org