Reports to: Director of Productions
Location: Lindsay, ON (remote work available)
Starting Salary: $90,000-100,000; benefits offered after 3-months
Closing Date: October, 29th 2021
Be part of the innovative future of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) learning and digital skills training by joining our team. Working alongside rural, remote, Indigenous and other communities, Pinnguaq supports the development of STEAM skills through innovative technology, art, and play.
The Productions Department
The Productions Department is responsible for the design, development, and delivery of websites, apps, games, videos, as well as non-digital interfaces. Requirements for productions projects come from both internal staff and projects, as well as externally funded project partnerships.
As lead of our production team, you’ll participate in creating high quality digital experiences (apps, games, websites, and more!) that inspire a life-long passion for STEAM learning. As Full Stack Developer you will work with a cohesive team to ensure development tasks are carefully estimated and delivered in a timely manner based on those estimations, while ensuring Pinnguaq’s code base is clean, reusable and easy to read and test.
What Does Success Look Like For This Role
- Development tickets are well considered and planned ahead of tickets being accepted from the backlog
- Development tasks are carefully estimated and delivered in a timely manner based on those estimations
- Code bases are clean, reusable, documented, easy to read and test
- Processes are documented and implemented, with code quality at the forefront
- Participation in design, development, testing, and debugging platform features
- Leading a cohesive team and understanding the importance of communication, raising issues as they arise, responding to queries, and taking part in a positive solution-driven atmosphere
- Develop technical requirements as per designs, tasks, and user stories
- Investigate hardware and software to determine suitability for requirements implementation, leading architecture, technology direction and best practice adoption
- Implement both frontend designs and backend architecture
- Develop and maintain WordPress websites built with customized starter themes (roots/sage, GeneratePress), LearnDash LMS, and custom developed Gutenberg blocks
- Integrate 3rd party payment gateways and other 3rd party applications where required
- Develop mobile applications using API driven architecture with frameworks such as Iconic and React Native
- Take part in Agile Scrum/Kanban sprint work using Jira as part of the SDLC
- Ensure that websites are stable, secure, performant, and accessible to WCAG AA standards
- Implementing best practices such as meaningful documentation, code quality, security, and minimizing technical debt
- Drive DevOps skill adoption and infrastructure understanding with the Software team
- Organise other IT duties including systems administration, hardware configuration, networking, server admin and VPS as required
- Manage small team of developers (and external contractors), mentoring and supporting, providing technical expertise and effective communication
- Recognize system deficiencies and implement/suggest effective solutions
Attributes and Qualifications
- Post secondary degree or diploma in computer science, programming or similar (equivalencies including extensive experience will be considered)
- 7+ years experience
- Passion for problem solving — we value taking time to think through and plan solutions while communicating potential pitfalls along the way.
- Appreciation for teamwork — giving and receiving constructive feedback, encouraging others, and being open to change is essential to our success.
- Practical solution design — we strive to balance modern tools with client accessibility, and avoid solutions that are quickly outdated.
- Experience with LAMP stack applications, both procedural and object-oriented PHP
- Experience with JAM stack, static site generators, and api driven CMS’s
- Experience in modern frontend technologies, such as React, Vue, and Angular
- Experience with build systems such as NPM scripting and WebPack
- Experience with database technologies such as MySQL and MongoDB
- Experience with git based workflows and platforms such as BitBucket and GitHub
- Experience of web user authentication and authorization
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and written
- Ability to accurately estimate the effort required to complete tasks and communicate bottlenecks
- Experience with full software development life cycle
- Strong communication skills and a high attention to detail
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively in a team environment.
Pinnguaq Association is strongly committed to fostering diversity within the communities we serve. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities, persons’ with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Pinnguaq Association is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point in the recruitment process.
APPLY TO: firstname.lastname@example.org