Location: Iqaluit, NU
Starting Salary: $100,000/year, with benefits
Term: Until March 2021 (with possibility of extension)
Reports to: Director of Delivery
Closing Date: Posted until filled
*Housing allowance negotiable
*Flexible work schedule possible
*Training and professional development available
*Preference given to residents of Iqaluit
What is this role? We are looking for someone who is energetic, enthusiastic and willing to work with organizations in the community to deliver engaging programming. We are looking for someone who has an interest in digital skills and technology. You don’t have to be an expert – but you are willing to learn!
This job is about working with learners of all ages to explore new ideas, experiment with fun equipment and build interest in learning about technology. Activities include skill development and exploration as well as employability skills and upskilling.
Our employees can expect a lot of training, support and encouragement- and we are committed to hiring a representative workforce.
The team: The person in this role will be an important part of the Delivery Team. The Delivery Team is responsible for working with partners to run activities and programs with learners. These staff are the public face of the Pinnguaq Association and ambassadors of the work we do. Team members use Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEAM) related tools, games and resources to help people understand, interact and create in the digital world.
What Success Looks Like
- Pinnguaq Association is synonymous with S.T.E.A.M education across rural and remote communities in Canada
- The Makerspace is a beacon and a staple in the community for S.T.E.A.M education and partnerships with school and community are strong
- We develop unique local partnerships and build our community of educators and learners
- The Pinnguaq Association has and is actively creating future mentors for our communities by successfully graduating learners through the Pinnguaq Lifecycle
- Pinnguaq learners are becoming Pinnguaq leaders
With support from a team, the duties of the position will include the following:
- Organize and deliver technology and science-related learning activities for community groups (like schools, clubs, other organizations)
- Delivering activities may be online or in person
- Deliver basic computer and internet-based learning experiences for both school-aged and adult learners
- Maintain a positive space for participants and facilitators
- Collaborate on developing learning resources such as: activity plans, tutorials, podcasts, and video tutorials
- Track and record program participant data
- Support Delivery operations including but not limited to set up and clean up supplies and equipment
- Conduct outreach to and collaborate and run programs with local schools, stakeholders, and organizations
- Work with a team to develop programs
- Complete thorough and accurate work within project timelines
- Determine and work to address student learning needs and content goals
- Represent the Pinnguaq Association in communities in a respectful and sensitive manner.
- Manage classroom logistics, including snack and bathroom breaks
- Address parent and community questions and concerns if necessary
- Willingness to learn about and maintain current knowledge of trends, initiatives and best practices of STEAM education and technologies and support their integration in Pinnguaq’s programs as appropriate
- Complete cross-departmental tasks as assigned that may include but are not limited to: asset creation, contribute to the Root&STEM publication, and development feedback
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications & Attributes
Equal consideration will be given to non-academic skills and experiences of candidates.
- Experience working in recreation, education, training or similar field supporting learners/participants
- Training (non-academic/informal or post-secondary) in the field of Education or Technology or Recreation is an asset
- A Bachelor of Education Degree is an asset.
- Interest in and willingness to learn media and technology, particularly makerspace technology, such as digital art, 3D printing, Arduino, and basic coding concepts.
- Comfortable learning new technology and digital tools.
- Excellent decision making and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and remotely if required.
- Work as a collaborative and flexible team player, capable of working in a team environment.
- Must be able to provide a Criminal Reference Check with Vulnerable sector screening.
- Working knowledge of Inuktitut and French is considered an asset (but not essential).
- Current First Aid and CPR training (or willingness to obtain)
Pinnguaq Association is strongly committed to fostering diversity within the communities we serve. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Pinnguaq Association is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point in the recruitment process.
APPLY TO: email@example.com