Term: March 31st 2021 (with possibility of extension)
Location: Lindsay, ON (remote work available)
Reports to: Lead Developer
Department: Productions – DevelopmentStarting Salary: $52.5k
Closing Date: October 16th 2020
The Productions Department
The Productions Department is responsible for the design, development, and delivery of websites, apps, games, videos, as well as non-digital interfaces. Requirements for productions projects come from both internal staff and projects, as well as externally funded project partnerships.
Production is a key part of the Pinnguaq lifecycle (Education, Resources, Mentorship, Employment, Production, Advocacy). It includes three sections: Design, Development, and Marketing. As part of the Operations Division, Productions also works alongside Education and Delivery, ensuring that the products that we design and develop meet the educational needs of our audiences and can be utilised by our teams in the delivery of those products to communities we work with.
Pinnguaq is introducing a new Social Enterprise Model option to the Productions process. Where possible we work with the audiences of a specific product during the planning and design stages. This introduces an educational component to the development of our products, ensuring that our end audiences are involved in the design and development process, gaining invaluable skills and experience along the way.
What Does Success Look Like For This Role
- Development tickets are well considered and planned ahead of tickets being accepted from the backlog
- Development tasks are carefully estimated and delivered in a timely manner based on those estimations
- The Pinnguaq Association’s website is accessible, bug free and provides clear and working pathways to accessing Pinnguaq’s programming and resources.
- Pinnguaq’s code base is clean, reusable and easy to read and test.
- The developer works well as part of a cohesive team
- The developer understands the importance of communication, raising issues as they arise, responding to queries, and taking part in a positive solution-driven atmosphere
- Develop web and digital requirements as per designs, tasks, and user stories
- Consult with internal and external stakeholders to develop and document website requirements
- Investigate hardware and software to determine suitability for requirements implementation
- Implement both frontend designs and backend architecture
- Optimize and implement content for the website including graphics, database animation and other media files
- Install and configure the CMS and LMS namely WordPress and LearnDash, integrate plugins, and write custom code where required
- Integrate e-commerce functionality and external 3rd party payment gateways
- Integrate other 3rd party applications where required
- Integrate multiple data sources and databases into PHP applications
- Plan, design, write, modify, integrate and test code
- Perform security and quality controls
- Take part in Agile Scrum/Kanban sprint work using Jira or a similar tool to create and document work through ticketing
- Ensure that the website is accessible to AA standards
- Other IT duties including systems administration, hardware configuration, networking, server admin and VPS as required
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in computer science, programming or equivalent
- 3+ years of industry-related experience
Skills and Abilities
- Experience with LAMP stack applications, both procedural and object-oriented PHP
- Experience with MySQL and its query language
- Experience of version control such as Git
- Experience of web user authentication and authorization
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines, prioritize workload, manage time efficiently, iterate, and work in a team environment
- Experience with full software development life cycle
- Strong communication skills and high attention to detail
- Solid interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to interact effectively in a team environment.
Pinnguaq Association is strongly committed to fostering diversity within the communities we serve. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Pinnguaq Association is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point in the recruitment process.
APPLY TO: email@example.com