Term: March 31st 2022 (with possibility of extension)
Location: Lindsay, ON (remote work available)
Reports to: Lead Developer
Department: Productions – Development
Starting Salary: $70,000; benefits offered upon employment
Closing Date: Open until filled
The Productions Department
The Productions Department is responsible for the design, development, and delivery of websites, apps, games, videos, as well as non-digital interfaces. Requirements for productions projects come from both internal staff and projects, as well as externally funded project partnerships.
Production is a key part of the Pinnguaq lifecycle (Education, Resources, Mentorship, Employment, Production, Advocacy). It includes three sections: Design, Development, and Marketing. As part of the Operations Division, Productions also works alongside Education and Delivery, ensuring that the products that we design and develop meet the educational needs of our audiences and can be utilised by our teams in the delivery of those products to communities we work with.
Pinnguaq is introducing a new Social Enterprise Model option to the Productions process. Where possible we work with the audiences of a specific product during the planning and design stages. This introduces an educational component to the development of our products, ensuring that our end audiences are involved in the design and development process, gaining invaluable skills and experience along the way.
- Consult with internal and external stakeholders to develop, document, and implement website requirements that balance business needs with technical quality.
- Ensure the Pinnguaq Association’s website is accessible, bug free and provides clear and working pathways to accessing Pinnguaq’s programming and resources.
- Develop and maintain WordPress websites built with customized starter themes (roots/sage, GeneratePress), LearnDash LMS, and custom developed Gutenberg blocks.
- Develop mobile applications using API driven architecture with frameworks such as Iconic and React Native.
- Take part in Agile Scrum/Kanban sprint work using Jira or a similar tools to create and document work through ticketing.
- Helping to improve and adhering to developer workflows, processes, and documentation.
- Ensure that websites are stable, secure, performant, and accessible to WCAG AA standards.
- Advocating for best practices such as meaningful documentation, code quality, and minimizing technical debt.
- Other IT duties including but not limited to systems administration, hardware configuration, networking, server admin and VPS as required.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in computer science, programming or equivalent
- 5+ years of industry-related experience
Skills and Abilities
- Passion for problem solving — we value taking time to think through and plan solutions while communicating potential pitfalls along the way.
- Appreciation for Teamwork — giving and receiving constructive feedback, encouraging others, and being open to change is essential to our success.
- Practical solution design — we strive to balance modern tools with client accessibility, and avoid solutions that are quickly outdated.
- Experience with LAMP stack applications, both procedural and object-oriented PHP.
- Experience with JAM stack, static site generators, and api driven CMS’s.
- Experience in modern frontend technologies, such as React, Vue, and Angular.
- Experience with build systems such as NPM scripting and WebPack.
- Experience with database technologies such as MySQL and MongoDB.
- Experience with git based workflows and platforms such as BitBucket and GitHub.
- Experience of web user authentication and authorization.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively verbally and written.
- Ability to accurately estimate the effort required to complete tasks and communicate bottlenecks.
- Experience with full software development life cycle.
Pinnguaq Association is strongly committed to fostering diversity within the communities we serve. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Pinnguaq Association seeks to develop inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point in the recruitment process.
APPLY TO: email@example.com